Our front-yard garden has been very satisfying this year: We harvested tomatoes, zucchinis, various herbs and lots of kale.
For the optics and for edible and spreadable seeds we had nice looking sun flowers growing all summer and fall.
And now – drum roll – we are also seeing some pretty flowers from a Vesey’s seed mix blooming, that we purchased last year through a Garden Club fund-raiser by Duc D’Anville Elementary school.
Kudos to Kam and the PTA for coordinating these lovely fund-raisers and the Garden Club!
Yesterday, the school garden initiative at Duc D’Anville school met for the second time, with participation from parents, students, local residents experienced with community gardening, school administration and community workers.
Everyone seems to like the proposed plan, see layout on the right, including the principal.
Now we need building materials for the raised beds, logs for seating, soil, 2 large compost bins.
Fund-raising action items and ideas:
- Complete the United Way grant application
- Use school letter to ask stores for donations
- Call for donations in the school newsletter
- Contact city (?) about tree trunks for seating
- Contact ecology action centre community garden coordinator
- Contact Burton Ettinger school administration for advice
- Launch a Mothers Day fundraiser (“love that grows”)